Defining my Boundaries (Day 6 – Personal Boundaries)

13 Nov 13
, , , , , , , , , , , ,
(c) Megan S, November 2013

(c) Megan S, November 2013

Day 6 of the 21 Days of Gratitude program focused on setting personal boundaries to be able to give from the deepest part of your soul. It took me a while to get my thoughts straight but it got me thinking about how well my daily schedule is working for me.

Although it works well on days where I’m staying at home and not doing anything else, I hardly have any days where this is the case. Thanks to multiple doctors appointments, acupuncture appointments and the occasional social activity with family and/or friends I tend to only have one or two days in a week where my schedule actually works.

So… I think I’m going to experiment with setting myself a set of personal boundaries and clearly letting everyone know exactly what these are so that they can help me stick to them.ย In setting these boundaries I need to consider how long I can do different activities at one time and over a whole day/week and how much rest I need between each activity.

By setting these boundaries I’m hoping it will help me pace better and stick to my plans for major events in my life. This will allow me to give the best of myself to all those I truly value (which is important to me as since being ill I’ve struggled with this – post to come).

Without further ado, here are my personal boundaries that will allow me to heal and maintain a manageable level of pain and fatigue…

Please click on the images to view them larger.

(c) Megan S, 2013

(c) Megan S, November 2013

(c) Megan S, 2013

(c) Megan S, November 2013

I haven’t mentioned transport in here because I haven’t worked a limit for that. I know that traveling in a private car has less impact than taking a taxi which has less than public transport. I just don’t know how long us too long for setting off symptoms.

I will continue to tweak these as I determine what works and what doesn’t. And obviously over time I would hope to see the session limit increase over time.

Do you work with boundaries, a daily schedule or do you have another technique for pacing yourself?

1. Celeste November 13, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I see a therapist once a week and she’s really helped me deal with my FM. The thing is that it’s actually gotten much worse over the past year and that has really been tough (as you well know).

The main thing that we keep talking about is boundaries. You have to communicate them to others as well as be strict about them or else your pain skyrockets. I always have problems with this, but I’m getting better.
    I don’t think that I could ever be as precise as you, but that’s a fantastic way to go about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Megan S November 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I’m trying to be precise but I’m not really sticking to this yet and it will probably need tweaking because some of the timing I just estimated what I thought I could do. I’m finding it really hard to set limits that don’t lead to at least a small flare up.

2. dawnhosking November 13, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I kind of have an inbuilt ‘listen to my body’ boundary and pacing regime now, after 7 years of strict pacing I got to about 85% and was stuck. I did a thing called bouncing the boundaries (Alex Howard) and it kind of works for me but as I have had some recent relapses and flares and querie arthritis issues I’m a wee bit muddled as to where my boundaries lie at present. I have to now take a step back and tune into how my body is adjusting to new limits and then work from there. Things is I’ve always been a proactive and motivated person prone to go OTT rather than stop and rest — I have to stop myself from being naughty at times ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Megan S November 14, 2013 at 10:06 am

I’m exactly the same, if I’m not dedicated and careful I’m likely to push too far because I tend to go over the top and a bit obsessed when I get into something.

• dawnhosking November 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Yep, that’s sounds just like me ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Julie November 18, 2013 at 11:30 am

I’m still working on a real balance in this way. I don’t really schedule my day out as much as I really need to, rather I just use Google Tasks to keep up with what i need to do each day. I think it’s great that you’ve been able to determine your personal limits of what you can do for how long, that’s so far beyond what most of us have managed.

• Megan S November 18, 2013 at 11:34 am

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ Really I’m still trying to find my limits, this is more of an estimation of how much time I can spend doing things without increasing symptoms.
      Most the time I still find that I’ve done too much.

4. fibrosmart November 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

This is something I need to work on so much! I have a bad habit of pushing past a place that is healthy for me all the time. I like the idea of having a concrete plan to help me set boundaries and keep them. Good ideas, Megan.

• Megan S November 19, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m still working on this as well.

5. NaBloPoMo Wrap Up | my chronic life journey November 30, 2013 at 8:27 am

[…] myself past my boundaries seemed to be a theme of the month as I learnt to pace myself and define my boundaries clearly. This led to me writing about ways to reduce stressย and sharing TED Talks that will cheer […]

6. Defining the best me – The Physical | my chronic life journey December 22, 2013 at 9:03 am

[…] to increase my physical activity within my limits. I will continue to experiment with pacing and setting boundaries and will provide updates on each of these […]

7. Physical Friday: Update on my ‘defining my boundaries’ experiment | my chronic life journey January 3, 2014 at 9:02 am

[…] year I set up an experiment to manage my pacing through the use of defined boundaries instead of a set routine that I tried to stick to every […]