Wisdom Wednesday: Gratitude Jar Update

23 Apr 14

If you are a regular reader you’d be aware that at the beginning of this year I started a Gratitude Jar.

To recap, the purpose of this jar is to remind me at the end of the year of all the little things I’ve achieved or been grateful for during the year. Each night I’m meant to write down what I’m grateful for that day and add it to the jar with the goal of emptying the jar at the end of the year (or beginning of next year) to review.

So… how has this been working for me?

I think I’ve finally settled down into a good routine, but it has taken almost 5 months to work that out.

To begin with my jar was in the study next to my sewing machine. I didn’t always remember to go and write something down in the evenings and I was getting to the point when I was having to remember back a week or more to record things for each day.

I’ve solved that problem by moving the jar and all the necessary supplies to record my gratitude to my bedside table.

My gratitude corner (bedside table)

My gratitude corner (bedside table)

By doing this I see it there every night and remember to think about the day that’s just been and what I was grateful for.

You’ll notice in the picture that I have post-it notes, pens and scissors next to the bed. The post-it notes are so large that I can record 3 or 4 days at least on each one so the scissors let me cut each day off as I go.

To remind me where I’m up to, and so I can be sure I haven’t missed a day, I write the next date at the top of the post-it note as I cut off that night’s post.

I’ve also struggled with some days working out what I’m actually grateful for! I didn’t really expect this, but when some of your days are spent with pretty much zero energy and spending half (if not more) of the day in the bathroom throwing up it does happen. Those days I tend to record as ‘Rest Day’ and if there was one thing I really enjoyed (like being able to lie outside in the sun or cuddling the kitty cats) I’ll add that as well. This way there is no days that I have not been grateful for anything.

Have you set up something similar for yourself this year? If so, how are you going?

What are you grateful for on your worst days?

1. The Atidecrem Life Project April 23, 2014 at 9:07 am

I have a gratitude jar I started last year, but I think I need to move it to where there will be more traffic. 😁 On my worst days, I am thankful for prayers and faith, especially when I can’t find one of my confidantes.

• Megan S April 23, 2014 at 11:01 am

I definitely found moving it to next to the bed was better for regular use. 🙂

2. Trisha April 23, 2014 at 12:11 pm

I have a jar….:) I think moving yours next to your beside table was a brilliant idea. I should do that with mine. I hope you get your stomach issues sorted out. I would be hard pressed to feel gratitude if I spent half the day throwing up. Have you tried ginger? It’s supposed to help with nausea.

• Megan S April 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Thanks Trisha, ginger helps a bit but not when I’m throwing up unfortunately. I’ll persevere and find something. 🙂

• CanadianTired May 2, 2014 at 10:42 am

You could try prescription anti-nausea medication such as they give to chemo patients. I have CFS and suffered daily severe nausea for 3+ years until a doctor prescribed it for me. Before that I took ginger capsules etc. but they didn’t really fix it. Why it took so long for a doctor to tell me about the drug I don’t know.
        I take a very small dose of Stemetil as required when nausea comes on. It nips it in the bud really well. Makes me drowsy though, but I hear there’s a new effective drug that doesn’t do that.
        CFS nausea/vomiting is initiated in brain, not gut, and these drugs act on the brain.
        Hope you find something that helps you. Nausea and vomiting is just dreadful and exhausting.
        S.

• Megan S May 2, 2014 at 11:48 am

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll check it out with my GP.

3. Jenn M April 24, 2014 at 12:19 am

That’s a great idea to put the Gratitude jar by your bed! 🙂 This month, I’ve joined a FB group called “The Pollyanna Plan 30-day Challenge” where each day, you post on FB something that you’re grateful for. It’s a great idea, and so far I’ve posted 23 days in a row–yay! Some days were a little more challenging to think of things, but I did eventually find something. 🙂

• Megan S April 25, 2014 at 8:15 am

Thanks Jenn. It’s great to be able to cone up with something even when you’re having a bad day.

4. Life Beyond My Window April 24, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Every night, when I try to fall asleep, instead of counting sheep, I list the top few things I’m grateful for. Even in our darkest period, there is always something to be grateful for.

• Megan S April 25, 2014 at 8:14 am

That’s a great idea! It’s important to remember that there’s always something to be grateful for. 🙂