Wisdom Wednesday: Benefits of spending time with friends

26 Feb 14
, ,

Hi friends and family (and other readers).

Sorry it’s been a while since I’ve posted, I’ve been rather unwell over the last week. My body finally seems to be as happy as it seems to be with me again lately (no upset tummy anymore)…

image

On the weekend two of our friends got married and although I wasn’t feeling the best I had a wonderful time.

It seems that since being so ill the main time I’ve managed to see the majority of our friends has been when we were at someone’s wedding. This is something I’m going to focus on fixing over the next month or so.

Why?

Because spending time with friends is important for both my mental and physical health.

When I manage to spend time with my friends I feel so much better about myself. Even if I’m in a lot of pain and having a lot of difficulty focusing it’s nice to know that I’m still me here.

I may not participate in as many conversations as I used to (not that I actually participated that much anyway, I’ve always preferred to listen to what’s going on around me), and I may struggle to focus occasionally, but it’s nice to know I can still be there for my friends.

So I am going to begin to make more of an effort to spend time with my friends. I know it’s not going to be easy because I can’t do late nights and they all work during the week (and sometimes the weekend as well) but I’m going to try and organise more regular afternoon teas and lunches and any other day time activities I can come up with that I’m able to participate in.

If you’re one of my friends look out for more invites from me. The invite for the Foggy Frog campaign launch this Sunday is just the beginning. 🙂

The Foggy Frog Campaign Launch is this Sunday at 2 pm CST (Adelaide). If you’re in Adelaide, and you’d like to join us in person, we’ll be having afternoon tea at our house (just let me know you’re coming). If you’re not in Adelaide, you can still participate because we’ll have a conversation going on through Twitter (#FoggyFrog) and on our Facebook page.

Please join us on the day to learn more about how you can participate in the campaign.

With just 4 days left until the launch, please join our Thunderclap to help us launch with a bang!

Just click on the link below and choose “Support with Facebook” or “Support with Twitter”.

Thank you for your support and to all of you who already have an even bigger thank you for helping spread the word further!

How do you maintain relationships with your friends?

1. Helen Ross February 26, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Take care Megan. Hope you are feeling better. Yes, it is certainly important to leave the house and be with friends – I make regular monthly coffee dates with good friends. Good friends are always there for you.

• Megan S February 26, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Thanks Helen, I appreciate your support 🙂

2. Serenstar February 26, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Very well said. I know my boyfriend said I sound like I dread hanging with friends. I don’t dread hanging with friends. I dread the misery of my body, the lack of energy, and how the next few days I’m a mess. I love hanging with out friends. I did that this weekend and managed to blow off everything else. I can’t do all of it…friends, housework, homework, work. So I always have to pick and choose. I don’t want my friends to suffer that.

• Megan S February 26, 2014 at 4:40 pm

My husband is the same. We had a discussion this week about how I have to try harder to catch up with friends and do things around the house. Basically, I need to find a better balance.

3. branchingmama February 26, 2014 at 9:58 pm

I totally agree that spending time with friends is necessary to feel better in myself. However, I have found that I have become very choosey about my friends. If friends don’t equally put effort into the relationship, they rapidly become lower down on my priority list. I’ve been accused of being callous for that but in actual fact, I am just protecting my energy levels. If I’m not getting much out of being with friends then I can’t justify the energy expenditure.
    Anyway, Im glad you are feeling better and that you had a great time at the wedding.

• Megan S February 27, 2014 at 7:17 am

I can understand that! It’s something I’ve considered… How much energy should I commit to maintaining relationships?

I haven’t worked out the answer yet… It’s about finding balance.

4. positivepain February 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm

I’m upfront about the bad days and catch up spontaneously (where possible!) on the good days. Keeping the chat going in between makes my heart warm too. :). Finding that balance is so hard and everchanging. I just regularly remind them how important they are to me.

• Megan S February 27, 2014 at 7:15 am