Wisdom Wednesday: Meditation Part 2

19 Feb 14

14 comments

Today is a really busy day, so was yesterday, so I’m going to keep this short today (I’ve already done a post this morning letting you know about our Foggy Frog Thunderclap).Β Today’s post is a follow up from last week’s meditation post . Yesterday I had the second meditation class.

Wisdom Wednesday - meditation

The key thing I learnt about meditation last night, is one of the simple breathing techniques used in meditation. Unfortunately brain fog means I can’t remember the name of it, but I can remember how to do it.

Steps for breathing techniques:

Step 1
After making yourself comfortable, settle in and focus on your breathing.

Step 2
Focus on breathing in for 4 breaths and out for 4 breaths.

Step 3
After you’ve got your breath consistently in and out for the count of 4, start to add a break in between the in and out breath. Begin with a break for a count of 2 and increase to a level you are comfortable (up to a break for a count of 4).

Give it a try, it definitely helps me to focus my mind more and relax properly. πŸ™‚

What techniques do you use to help you focus and relax?

14 Comments

1. holley4734 February 19, 2014 at 9:36 am

Thanks! I need to do this about a hundred times today!

• Megan S February 19, 2014 at 9:36 am

You’re welcome. I hope it helps you!

• holley4734 February 19, 2014 at 9:39 am

It’s worth a shot, right?

• Megan S February 19, 2014 at 9:41 am

Definitely πŸ™‚

2. It’s a lonely place February 19, 2014 at 9:54 am

I just got a yoga nidra meditation cd today so can’t wait to use it so reading your post was very exciting I am really hoping it will help x

• Megan S February 19, 2014 at 10:00 am

Sounds great! Let me know what it’s like and whether it helps πŸ™‚

3. Trisha February 20, 2014 at 4:18 am

That breathing technique (I think I’ve heard it called the Box Breath?) always relaxes me. I should practice it more, especially if it helps with focus!

• Megan S February 20, 2014 at 8:13 am

It’s definitely one I’m going to practice more. The instructor was very clear about only doing what your body was comfortable with and doing it for only 5 minutes at a time before resting in between.

• Trisha February 20, 2014 at 9:52 am

I’m glad your instructors recommend taking it at a comfortable pace. I can’t remember where I learned it but they started right in with counting to four in between breaths. I felt like I was drowning!

• Megan S February 20, 2014 at 9:57 am

That doesn’t sound pleasant. πŸ™

• Trisha February 20, 2014 at 11:58 am

It wasn’t pleasant at first! But once I only held out the inhale and exhale for as many counts as felt comfortable, I found the practice to be so soothing and extremely relaxing. Thank you for reminding me about it! It works so well when I remember to do it! πŸ™‚

• Megan S February 20, 2014 at 11:59 am

You’re welcome. My problem is Foggy Frog gets in the way and I forget to do it πŸ™‚

4. X is for eXperiment | Liveken – my chronic life journey November 27, 2015 at 1:04 pm

[…] experimented with natural alternatives like the TENS machine, accupuncture, yoga, massage, meditation and visiting a […]

5. X is for eXperiement – A-Z Guide Simple Sustainable Meaningful – LiveKen September 29, 2016 at 3:31 pm