My 100th post + Swimming for Chronic Pain

07 Feb 14
, , , , , , , ,

100 Posts

I know it’s meant to be Physical Friday but I just wanted to celebrate reaching 100 posts written or recorded by me!

I really didn’t know what to expect when I began blogging but I am happy to announce that it has helped me create a new group of friends and keep in touch with those friends I already had before becoming ill.

Thank you for all your support and encouragement during these first 3 months of blogging!

Now on to Physical Friday (this will be a short post as the brain fog is fairly heavy today)…

Yesterday I finally managed to make it to the pool with my husband. I have wanted to return to swimming ever since I began feeling slightly better 4 months ago, but timing and the fact I had to get to the pool (which uses a lot of my energy), meant it had only happened once since then.

Why was I so keen to return to swimming?

Swimming is a great form of exercise for anyone suffering from painful conditions because it reduces the impact on your joints while still allowing you to do some cardio and strength exercises. Not only that, I find swimming to be very relaxing and helps me focus my thoughts more.

Although I was keen to return to the pool for my mental and physical health, I know that with ME/CFS I have to be careful about not pushing myself too hard. Last night I managed 6 laps of very slow breast stroke and 3 laps walking up and down the pool. This was paced with equal amounts of rest in between any activity, so it was equivalent to about 15 minutes of swimming over half an hour.

I’m hoping to make this a more regular event (weekly maybe) but I’ll tweek how much activity I do until I find my limit. Yesterday has left me pretty out of it today but pain levels haven’t raised too much, so I think what I did yesterday was ok.

Do you use swimming as a form of exercise?

What benefits do you get from swimming?

1. someonesideaofluxury February 7, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hurray! Congratulations on your 100th post and an even bigger congratulations on going swimming! Did you enjoy it?
    I loved this post, I just came home from a friend’s place who invited me over for a swim (or floating around and chatting) and I love being in the water, great for achey kind of pain and I like how it makes me feel lighter. Exhausted now but worth it. Hope you feel great 🙂

• Megan S February 9, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I loved the swimming! It was great even just floating in the water. I was down the beach yesterday and enjoyed just floating for a while.

2. Just Another F-Bomb February 7, 2014 at 10:27 pm

Glad you made it to the pool, swimming is a great form of exercise for everyone, I couldn’t agree with you more. I always found it helped with sleep afterwards as well. Congrats on 100 posts!

• Megan S February 9, 2014 at 2:35 pm

It definitely does help with sleep and also makes me hungry. Thanks Leslie 🙂

3. margie February 8, 2014 at 3:48 am

so happy for you being able to do that.I have been in a realy bad flare since may,hopefully I will be able to do something like that soon . So happy you got 100 posts-so excited for you!

• Megan S February 9, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Thanks Margie, I hope you’re able to do something soon 🙂

4. Trisha February 8, 2014 at 4:18 am

Congratulations on your 100th post! I’m happy for you that you were able to go swimming and I hope that you are able to go regularly now. I love swimming but I haven’t been in several years. I should check to see if there’s a place around that isn’t too expensive but, being a hermit and all, I probably won’t. 🙂

• Megan S February 9, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Trisha, it’s great to do if you can find somewhere and you can afford it. 🙂

5. jpeggytaylor February 8, 2014 at 6:03 am

Congratulations on your 100th post Megan!
    … and good for you getting back to something you really wanted to do too 😀

• Megan S February 9, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Thanks Julie 🙂

6. Jenn M February 8, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Congrats on your 100th post!! 😀 And that’s wonderful that you were able to get back to the pool. I would love to (even just to lounge around in the pool, lol), but there’s no pool around (and it’s also winter in the U.S.).

• Megan S February 9, 2014 at 2:27 pm