Wisdom Wednesday: Passions and Dreams

29 Jan 14
, , ,
image

Today I want to talk to you about passions and dreams. No matter where you are in life you will always have at least one passion and one dream. These may change as your life does but they are always there.

My whole life I have been passionate about the environment and about caring for others. The form these passions took in my life and my dreams for my future evolved as I grew and changed as a person, but they’re still here.

image

Me and my siblings

As a child, my passion for the environment took the form of enjoying being outside playing in nature. I always wanted to look after any young children (babies) I saw and was always trying to help my younger sister and brother whenever I could.

As I got older, I got involved with volunteer work through St John Ambulance Australia and the St Vincent De Paul Society. I spent a lot of time learning about different animals and visiting the zoo, and would go for walks when ever I was stressed out or upset.

At university I want really sure what I wanted to do so I completed a double degree in Arts and Science which focused strongly on environmental topics. My volunteer work dropped off because I didn’t have time with study, work and a new found social life.

My working career so far has incorporated both my passion for the environment and helping others, through a strong focus on community engagement and education in all my sustainability roles. My dream was to get a property where I could run sustainability and conservation related workshops, seminars and camps for corporate, community and school groups.

image

Photo (c) Megan S, November 2013

Since becoming ill, the focus of my passions and my dreams have changed. I would still love to get that property and run those workshops, but I know it is not a viable option while I’m this unwell.

In the mean time, my current dream is to maintain some form of education around sustainability but to also increase awareness of these illnesses I’m struggling with.

My current passions are:

Creating and distributing sustainably made products through my sewing and card making.

image

Handmade wheat bag set currently available on Foggy Frog Creations Photo (c) Megan S, January 2014

Increasing awareness of Invisible Illnesses through the ‘Foggy Frog and the Pain Gang’ campaign.

image

Foggy Frog (c) Megan S, January 2014

As you can see, my underlying passions have not changed, but the dreams and the way these manifest in my current life have changed dramatically over time.

Real passions drive our lives. We may alter the way we interpret and embody this passions in our life, but if we are to be happy with the challenges our lives throw at us we need to make sure we are living in a way that fulfills our passions.

Our dreams may not become reality in the way we want or expect them to, but if we let ourselves be truly happy our dreams will come true!

Have you noticed a change in the way you are fulfilling your passions as your life changes?

What are your passions and dreams?

1. margie January 29, 2014 at 12:01 pm

thank you so much for sharing-loved reading about your dreams.

• Megan S January 29, 2014 at 12:03 pm

You’re welcome Margie. Do you have any you’re working towards at the moment?

2. margie January 29, 2014 at 12:15 pm

I guess the only dream I am looking foreward to is finding out that there is new information on fibromyalgia-thank you so much for asking,

• Megan S January 29, 2014 at 12:31 pm

You’re welcome and I can definitely understand that dream! At the moment I’m just trying to focus my attention away from my pain and exhaustion as much as I can, thus the bigger dream. 🙂 I haven’t given up hope but I want to be realistic.

3. Trisha January 29, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Great post! I loved reading about your dreams and passions. My dream is similar to one of yours – I want to own a piece of land. On mine I would grow a large medicinal herb garden, plus fruits and veggies. I would love to be able to grow much of my own food and medicine. But, like you, I’m not sure I’m well enough to tackle such a thing. My hope is that we will both be well enough to tend to our dream lands in the future. 🙂

• Megan S January 29, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Thanks Trisha, I really do hope our dreams can come true. Growing our own foods and medicines would be a very sustainable way to go, if only we had the energy. 😉

Oh, and I’ve sent you an email about Foggy Frog. It’s quite a long one sorry! Through the fog it was hard explaining myself… Hope I don’t confuse you with it. 🙂

4. Jenn M January 29, 2014 at 10:50 pm

This is a wonderfully written post, and I love the pictures you added to it as well! 🙂 I agree that even though our life events may causes changes and we need to adjust our dreams, our passion(s) still remain the same despite the changes. For instance, my passion in life is creativity and helping others.

Before I got sick, I was working in childcare for almost ten years. I know that I wanted to get out because I was growing tired of the same old things, and all the rules and regulations was killing the fun and creativity. So, I guess I can say that fibro and CFS was my ticket out of there (even though the original plan was to get into another full-time job. That didn’t work out). Now, I am volunteering for the Meals on Wheels program, blogging, and selling my crocheted items on Etsy. I love how I can get my daily dose of creativity through these things, and that I can help others out for the better. So really, I’ve never been more happier! 🙂

• Megan S January 29, 2014 at 11:16 pm

That’s great to hear Jenn! I love hearing what others are passionate about and what they’re doing to live their dreams.

It’s great to try and see the positives from our current situations even when they look negative from the outside.

5. Just Another F-Bomb January 29, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Great post, along the lines of something I’ve been writing in my head for a while now. It’s easy to dwell on what we’ve lost or our inability to fulfill our dreams when we get sick. In reality though, we may have had to detour those visions regardless of our health, I think our experiences in general help our dreams to evolve over time. What we may have planned to do 5 yrs ago can change over the years to suit our needs now.

Not sure if this makes sense to anyone but me 😉

• Megan S January 29, 2014 at 11:42 pm

Made sense to me 😉 thanks for sharing.

6. barbaramarincel February 2, 2014 at 12:00 pm

My dream–my passion–is studying theology/spirituality so I can someday be a hospital or hospice chaplain. I graduate with my Master’s in Theology in May!
    But I’m not sure yet if I can handle the grueling schedule and demands of chaplaincy; I am currently working with a pain specialist for my fibro.
    My other passions are writing and art (drawing, watercolor, pastels). I’d love to write for a living, too!

• Megan S February 2, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Those dreams sound great Barbara! It’s great to see you’re taking small steps to work towards your goal. Thank you for sharing. 🙂