After Effects of a Good Night Out

09 Dec 13
, , , , , , ,

This is an unedited prose that was written the day after the MUSE concert E and I went to last week. I thought I’d share what I night out can cost me even after careful resting and planning beforehand. I wrote this as it came to me during the day.

image

Buzzing sensations everywhere as the Gnawing Gnats nibble and bite moving around my body. Every limb feels like jelly and I’m struggling to move or lift anything.

It’s 5 am, I didn’t get to sleep until at least 1.30 am thanks to these guys… I’ll lie here and see if I can get some more sleep…

7 am and no more sleep… Slowly I make myself a hot bath with Epsom salts to see if that will easy them… It doesn’t work… Head back to bed.

The Fog is thick and my eyelids heavy. Somehow I make my way from the bed to the couch. I rely on the cats for heat and weight to try and stop the tingling buzzing ache that’s building in intensity through my body.

The only movement I can manage today is the slow crawl like walk to the toilet and the fridge, where I grab whatever looks easiest – no premade meals… I guess a cucumber and some ham…

Tea sounds good but the pot is so heavy! I finally manage to make a pot and then only drink some of it because I forget it’s there.

The TV is on… But I’m not really focused on it… It comes and goes in waves while I slip in and out of consciousness.

In the afternoon the Stabbing Spiders join the party in my wrists and ankles, my temples, and under my ribcage. The Burning Bats are flying around in my head, hands and feet. Needle Nematodes adventure into my fingers and toes.

Pain killers are needed, it seems as though the whole gang is here to party.

At least the previous day was worth it.

This could last days before I’m at a semi-functional level of consciousness again.

This is my life with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis!

1. Trisha December 9, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Thank you for sharing this. It would be so great if more people understood the after effects of time out having fun. I’m glad your concert was worth it though.

• Megan S December 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Thanks Trisha, it definitely was

2. dawnhosking December 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I can totally resonate with this, I just had a meal out at the weekend for my husbands birthday and now I’m absolutely flat as a pancake and I had saved so much energy and been so very careful beforehand — ouch. xx

• Megan S December 10, 2013 at 9:33 am

Hope you feel a bit brighter soon. I’m finally out the other end of a very long flat period. I feel like I can focus clearly for longer than a minute at a time again and that I’m back to being “good”, or as good as I get these days.

• dawnhosking December 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Thanks, so do I — I am doing my best and battling against the odds. Glad you are doing OK 😉 xx

• Megan S December 11, 2013 at 8:02 am

Thanks Dawn 🙂

3. dawnhosking December 9, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Muse are awesome, I saw them live and wow!! Awesome xx

• Megan S December 10, 2013 at 9:32 am

I know! They’re videography and lighting displays were amazing!

• dawnhosking December 10, 2013 at 9:06 pm

It was such a treat to see them, they put so much effort into everything to make it a fantastic experience.

• Megan S December 11, 2013 at 8:03 am

I know. They were great!

4. Just Another F-Bomb December 9, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Hope you’ve recovered a bit more by now. it’s really hard to have to go through a lengthy recovery after a normal night out but it’s really worth it sometimes! (at least in my opinion) 😉

• Megan S December 10, 2013 at 9:32 am

Thanks. I have recovered a bit more and think I’m finally out the other end of a 2 week crash/bad period. Yesterday was a good day and so far it feels like today will be as well. I agree that it’s really important to do “normal” activities occasionally so that we don’t focus too much on being “sick”.

5. Jumping_Jenny_444 December 10, 2013 at 10:15 am

I definitely know how that feels! Feeling foggy, achy, and not motivated to make up a meal (not unless if its premade). Sounds nice to have cats though to keep you warm. 🙂

• Megan S December 10, 2013 at 10:18 am

The cats are great at keeping me warm, except when they get to playful or start to fight 😉