Describing the Fog – poll included

01 Dec 13
, , , , , , ,

I’m still struggling to come to terms with the best way to describe the Fog to other people.

To me the Fog has two distinct parts:

• The Physical Fog, which causes the heaviness in my limbs and the weird spinning sinking sensations I sometimes experience,

and

• The Mental Fog (or Brain Fog), which causes the confusion, inability to focus and all the other fun symptoms that come with it.

Through Foggy Frog and Friends I have managed to start describing both of these aspects, but I don’t feel like I’ve quite got the description right

Foggy Frog is the one that’s always on my shoulder. He’s weighing me down and makes it feel like I’m pushing through mud whenever I’m trying to do anything. Somehow, he’s also managed to get into my head and muddle everything up. Because of this I have trouble remembering things and can’t focus on anything for more than a few minutes at a time without zoning out.

From Introducing Foggy Frog and Friends (c) Megan S, November 2013

…she feels the weight of them upon her body and can feel her energy draining away. She is weak and shaky…

From Fighting Them… (c) Megan S, October 2013

The world is spinning. As I close my eyes I am sinking. I can feel the ground below me giving way, as my body slowly gives in to the fog and the weight.

From Spinning and Sinking… (c) Megan S, November 2013

Foggy Frog is here
Heaviness and confusion
Moving through the fog

From Foggy Frog and Friends Haikus (c) Megan S, November 2013

All of these descriptions are good BUT I don’t feel they quite get the intensity and debilitating nature of the Fog that comes with chronic illnesses like ME/CFS and Fibromyalgia.

So, I’ve decided to turn to you for help. Please take part in the poll below and if you can think of other descriptions that I haven’t mentioned please add them.

How would you describe the ‘Fog’?

1. Trisha December 1, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I never thought of the heaviness/feeling like you’re walking through mud thing as being part of the fog but, now that I think about it, it does come along with it so it must be a part of it.

• Megan S December 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm

That was my thought. They come at the same time so they’re related… I’m in the middle of a dense fog right now.

2. dawnhosking December 1, 2013 at 8:25 pm

It is difficult to describe the fog isn’t it. So many aspects to it. Cognition is non existent during my foggy times — it can be embarrassing 😉

3. Just Another F-Bomb December 1, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I opted for heaviness and confusion but with me it’s really like not being able to find my place in a book….I think I’ve found it til I read a few lines and nothing make sense and so I search again, it becomes a vicious cycle and then suddenly it clears as if it was never there!

• Megan S December 2, 2013 at 7:55 am

That’s a great description! I can really relate to that.

4. Jumping_Jenny_444 December 2, 2013 at 3:02 am

Hello! I have nominated you for the Parliament Award!! Click on the link below to check it out:

• Megan S December 2, 2013 at 8:03 am

Thanks Jenn, I’ll take a look today 🙂

5. Toni December 3, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Definitely heaviness and confusion. Mentally, it’s like static on the radio. I miss important details or I scroll right past the station I’m trying to tune into, only to get distracted by another station and forget what I’m trying to find. Then there’s that feeling that I have to lie down right away or I’m going to pass out and the room starts spinning. Yuck!

• Megan S December 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Great descriptions! I get all of those sensations. I hate the spinning room, but I’ve learnt to close my eyes and hold onto something or sit/lie down until it stops. Everything starts going black during this as well!
      Static on the radio is a great description, I miss lots of information because my mind won’t focus. That’s why I always have someone come to all my appointments with me.