To Drive or Not to Drive?

16 Nov 13
, , , , , , ,
Photo (c) Doug Quine Photography, 2011

Photo (c) Doug Quine Photography, 2011

I have not driven in the last 6 months (apart from one short drive after one of the doctors recommended I try again). This is because whenever I’m in a moving vehicle (and sometimes when walking) my vision goes unfocused after less than 5 minutes and I don’t feel safe driving if that happens.

But I know being able to drive would allow me a bit more independence than what I have now. At the moment I rely on having someone to drive me for any appointments or outings I may want to make. I have attempted public transport several times but I’ve found that when I do that by the time I get to my destination my pain levels and fatigue are so high I can’t focus or enjoy myself.

At this stage I’ve decided that public and personal safety is more important than my independence, but I know that being able to drive would reduce the burden on E and our parents who are constantly driving me to appointments.

Do you drive or have you chosen not to?

1. Jumping_Jenny_444 November 16, 2013 at 10:09 am

I drive, but when I drive alone it’s only to local things 10 minutes away from my house. With anything else, someone else is in the car with me. On extended trips, I prefer to drive but if need be, I’m the passenger. I’m too stubborn to let anyone else drive me, lol!

• Megan S November 16, 2013 at 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply Jenn 🙂

2. dawnhosking November 16, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I only drive if my cognition is sharp and I’m able to focus 😉

• Megan S November 16, 2013 at 8:29 pm

That sounds like a good way to tell. My problem is I can feel fine when I get in the car but as soon as I’m out of the driveway I start to crash. I think it’s because it takes so much energy to focus and feel safe.

• dawnhosking November 16, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Yes, that sounds like it’s taking a lot of your energy at this time, I have experienced that in the past.

3. someonesideaofluxury November 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I love driving and missed it when I wasn’t well enough to drive, but safety has to come first. It takes energy, balance, coordination and other attributes I didn’t have enough of! I’m glad to be back driving again, even if most of the time I’m not well enough to go anywhere.

• Megan S November 19, 2013 at 6:10 pm

I drove yesterday but don’t think it’ll be a regular thing yet… I had my eyes testes today and I’m getting new glasses to help my fatigued eyes, I’m hoping they’ll help with feeling comfortable driving again.

4. NaBloPoMo Wrap Up | my chronic life journey November 30, 2013 at 8:27 am

[…] My series of posts on Living with Chronic Pain and Illness focussed on special events, managing personal expectations, maintaining relationships, resting, a healthy diet for me, and exercising. I even shared one of my favourite breakfast/dessert recipes and discussed issues about  driving. […]

5. Cars, Needles and Tense Muscles | my chronic life journey December 4, 2013 at 10:22 am

[…] is a big deal because, as you know, I haven’t really been doing much driving the last 6 […]