Wisdom Wednesday: Meditation

12 Feb 14
, , , , , , ,
Wisdom Wednesday Meditation

I started a 5 week meditation course last night, it involves one hour, one night a week spent in a group practicing meditation. The course is for beginners (I was the only one there who had practiced at all before starting) so I’m hoping to learn some useful tips to help my meditation practice at home. I’m also hoping it will help me with my struggle to relax and focus.

Source: Pintrest meditation

Source: Pintrest

The first session gave me mixed feelings about the course. On one hand I got some useful tips, on the other hand I struggled to stay awake and pain-free until the end of the hour.

The cushions they used were not like the ones I’ve seen before and begun making:

(c) Megan S, January 2014

(c) Megan S, January 2014

They were more like very hard, flat square cushions. I’m not sure why they were providing these cushions and promoting them as good for meditation when half the class (including me) needed to modify how we were sitting by folding up blankets on top of the cushion. I think next week I’ll take in one of the cushions I’ve made and see what the instructor thinks.

I want to share with you the useful tips I got from the course.

How to ensure you are sitting in the most appropriate position for meditating:

1. Sit forward on your sit bones. When sitting upright lean slightly forward so you can feel that you’re sitting on the forward part of your sit bones.
  2. Have a natural curve in your lower back. Don’t attempt to straighten it completely.
  3. Have your hip bones tilted down and forwards. This will help with achieving #1, sit forward on your sit bones.
  4. Your chin should be parallel to the floor and pulled back. This helps to lengthen the top part of your neck and ensures you’re sitting up right

If you manage to do these four steps correctly, your paranervous system (I think I’ve spelt that right!) will not kick in and you shouldn’t fall asleep while you’re sitting still.

After the class I discussed with the instructor the fact that my back was getting very sore and I was struggling to focus by the end of the session. Her suggestion was that if that occurs, lie down. It’s not the ideal posture for meditation but it should alleviate some of the pain.

I hope these tips help you, and I will share any more that come out of the next four classes.

Foggy Frog Simple Logo

Do you meditate?

How do you maintain posture and focus?

1. Trisha February 12, 2014 at 11:36 am

I am impressed that you were able to sit like that for an hour. I am lucky to make it ten minutes before my back pain becomes unbearable. I usually end up laying down…then falling asleep. I hope taking your own cushion next time will help. An hour is a long time to hurt!

• Megan S February 12, 2014 at 11:40 am

The session was an hour, but we were only sitting for half of it (with a break in the middle of that as well). The instructor starts with basic stretches and movement, followed by a lying down body scan, then we sit for a while.

I was definitely in pain fairly early on in the sitting still phase, but I wanted to push through it because I knew if I lay down again I was going to fall asleep. The course started at 7.30pm so the finish time was pretty much my bed time. 🙂

2. margie February 12, 2014 at 11:37 am

thank you so much for sharing these tips-have never tried meditation before so I think i .will try this.

• Megan S February 12, 2014 at 11:44 am

You’re welcome, once I can quiet my mind I find it really beneficial for my overall wellbeing.

3. Jenn M February 12, 2014 at 8:45 pm

That’s great that you found a meditation class–I wish there was one closer to me. 🙂 I know what you mean with the uncomfortable cushions. It was like the time I went to a svaroopa yoga class a few years ago and they had these really uncomfortable pad things you place behind your head when you’re in savasagna (I’m probably spelling it wrong, but oh well, lol). I’m trying to get back into the habit of meditating. I’m getting there. 😉

• Megan S February 12, 2014 at 8:46 pm

I’m trying to get more consistent… Thought the course may help.

• Megan S February 12, 2014 at 8:46 pm

PS. Sent you an email 🙂

• Jenn M February 12, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Yep, just read it this morning. 🙂 I’ll email you back some time today. Today is a volunteer day, so it’ll probably be during the afternoon.

• Megan S February 12, 2014 at 9:24 pm

That’s fine, I’m heading to bed now so wouldn’t read the response until morning anyway. 😀

Have fun volunteering.

4. Wisdom Wednesday: Meditation Part 2 | my chronic life journey February 19, 2014 at 9:22 am

[…] post is a follow up from last week’s meditation post . Yesterday I had the second meditation […]

5. M is for Mindful | Liveken – my chronic life journey November 14, 2015 at 1:00 pm

[…] Meditation. Specific time set aside for mindfully focusing on my breathing. Breathing techniques are great for helping to cope with pain and to quiet a stressed out mind. […]