Wisdom Wednesday: Brain Fog and Meditation

05 Feb 14
, , , ,

Since crashing last April, my brain has been in a constant state of fog, ranging from still functioning but slightly confused to can’t think, can’t move, can’t do anything at all. Most the time I feel like the guy in the picture below.

Image

Source: Pintrest

What does this have to do with meditation?

To begin with the fog seemed good, it helped me to just zone out and I didn’t have to focus on my other symptoms. As I began to improve slightly though I realised it really wasn’t helping!

In the meditations I try to do daily you are meant to focus on your breath and let everything else flow past you. I thought I was doing this well when the fog was at it’s worst, but I realise now I wasn’t focused on anything at all.

No matter how hard I try, Foggy Frog will not let me stay focused at all!

Meditation is important for my mental, spiritual and physical health at the moment and because of this I will keep trying. It’s just getting extremely frustrating lately and I want to do better.

Do you have problems with the fog making it hard to focus?

Do you practice meditation?

Foggy Frog Simple Logo

1. Jenn M February 6, 2014 at 12:52 am

I try to meditate here and there…I know what you mean though with the fog. It’s definitely a nuisance when you want to focus on your breath or focus on being mindful. If I just think about nothing, I guess the fog can benefit with clearing all the garbage out of my head. Love the picture, by the way–it gave me a good laugh! 🙂

• Megan S February 6, 2014 at 8:34 am

Thanks Jenn, I thought it was a great one too. That’s a good way of looking at the meditation, a chance for the fog to clear everything out… I’ll have to remember that. 🙂

2. Just Another F-Bomb February 6, 2014 at 7:55 am

I don’t meditate but I do control my breathing when I do yoga and it tends to take me to a peaceful place. I definitely have problems with concentration that I didn’t have before Fibro, I expect I always will but rather than stress about it I just move on to something a little more mindless until it passes.

• Megan S February 6, 2014 at 8:38 am

Great suggestion, thank you Leslie 🙂

3. Miss Diagnoses February 6, 2014 at 9:20 am

I think we are on the same page; my next post (or the one after) is going to be about meditation for fibro, hypothyroidism, and general chronic illness stress. I have difficulty with it, so I try to find easy meditation techniques. My physical therapist gave me a few and I do a few others…but I struggle with it.

• Megan S February 6, 2014 at 10:01 am

That sounds great, I look froward to reading your suggestions.

4. Wisdom Wednesday: Meditation | my chronic life journey February 12, 2014 at 11:12 am

[…] I started a 5 week meditation course last night, it involves one hour, one night a week spent in a group practicing meditation. The course is for beginners (I was the only one there who had practiced at all before starting) so I’m hoping to learn some useful tips to help my meditation practice at home. I’m also hoping it will help me with my struggle to relax and focus. […]