Defining the best me – The Physical

22 Dec 13
, , , , , , , , , , ,

“Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.”– Henry David Thoreau

shades of blue

As I mentioned in my previous post on Aspriations for 2014. The new year is going to be all about defining the best ME. To do this I will be focussing in on 3 core topics for the year and aiming to answer certain questions and experimenting with different activities, treatments and adventures to define what “the best ME” is and to live my life accordingly.

The first core topic that I will be focussing on is the Physical.

Since becoming ill, I feel that I have lost what I thought defined the best me in terms of my physical health, fitness and abilities. I feel that I have been taken back to the beginning and have to work on building myself up slowly.

In the new year I will be aiming to answer the following questions about my physical self:

• What activities can I do within my new limits?
  • Can I add new activities into my life without increasing symptoms and crashes?
  • Which physical activities increase my sense of wellbeing and fullfilment?

I will be trying not to focus solely on my bad health next year, however I feel to begin focussing on the positive aspects of my health as it is at the moment I do still need to answer some questions about my illness and how it affects me physically.

On top of answering these questions I will be trying new treatments if possible and exploring opportunities to increase my physical activity within my limits. I will continue to experiment with pacing and setting boundaries and will provide updates on each of these experiments.

My goal for 2014 is to find the perfect balance between physical activity and rest that allows me to live with optimum health.

Posts related to defining the best Physical ME will be posted under a new regular column called Physical Fridays.

So, please join me in the new year to discover more about defining the best Physical ME.

shades of blue

Do you have any physical health and fitness goals for the new year?

Are there any features of defining a best ‘ME’ physically that you feel I have missed and should add to my thoughts?

1. countryfairy12 December 22, 2013 at 9:24 am

it sounds like a new a great way to start off the new year….I wish the best of luck to both of you, mainly you Megan

• Megan S December 22, 2013 at 9:50 am

Thanks 🙂 I’m looking forward to experimenting in the new year and hopefully increase my health and sense of wellbeing.

2. tlohuis December 22, 2013 at 11:40 am

I’m headed in the same direction, Megan. I’ve got to get back to getting more physical each day. I used to be a fitness freak. If I didn’t get at least an hour of exercise in every day, ok almost every day, I would just feel horrible. I know I must pace myself and work back to it and my exercising will probably look different than before. I don’t see myself being able to do aerobics, for an example. Yoga, perhaps. Walking on my treadmill, riding my recumbent bike, using my elliptical machine, floor exercises, walking outside, things of this nature is probably going to be more realistic for me. I know if I say, go and ride my bike for an hour straight the very first time, I won’t be doing anything for quite some time. I’m that all or nothing personality, so I have to stop it and work my way up, as to not injure, and set myself back.
    I think once I build up some strength and energy I might be able to do more. Just a thought. Just a hope. It’s going to be learning how to pace myself that will be the hardest.
    Good luck in your endeavors, Megan. I’ll be watching to see how you’re doing and maybe we can compare notes.:)

• Megan S December 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Thanks Tammy. I have a similar history, I would walk everyday and go to the gym most week days. Now I do some yoga (less than 15min), ride my bike for 2 – 3 minutes at a time or walk a similar amount of time. Let see how I go next year! 🙂

• tlohuis December 22, 2013 at 1:09 pm

You go girl! I have to do exactly how you’re doing, 2 or 3 minutes at a time on the bike or treadmill. I feel like it’s a waste of time because I’ve always exercised for at least an hour, but I know I have to slowly work up to it or I’ll hurt myself and be in bed even more. We got a few days to get revved up!:)

• Megan S December 22, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Definitely. I’m trying to work out a plan of attack for the new year 🙂

• tlohuis December 24, 2013 at 8:15 am

We got this!:)

• Megan S December 24, 2013 at 8:34 am

We do, we’ve also got a very good support network in each other. It seems many of us have the same goal of achieving some kind of balance in 2014.

• tlohuis December 24, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Yes. I’m sure hoping to get off to a new start and have a much better year, of course my body will be the one calling the shots. I’m hoping if I can get up and moving a little more, that will at least make things somewhat better and then I can set my next goal, but I have to start getting some much needed exercise in, whatever it takes, I’ve got to do it.
            I’m very glad that we have each other for support. I need all the help I can get. LOL Thanks friend:)

• Megan S December 25, 2013 at 8:59 am

You’re welcome 🙂

3. Trisha December 22, 2013 at 1:08 pm

My goal in the physical realm is the same: find the perfect balance of rest and physical activity. I look forward to following your progress on Physical Fridays!

• Megan S December 22, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Trisha, glad to hear you have a similar goal. I look forward to sharing the journey next year.

4. Claire December 22, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Yep, I think it’s a great goal! I’ve had a bit of a breakthrough – most of my fatigue seems to be related to allergies; once I can move to the coast and avoid these pesky things (like burnt gas, nitrogen oxide, formaldehyde and petrochemicals…) I want to start EXERCISING! Slowly at first, but I can already walk a little (and shop, oh happy day!). My challenge will be building myself up in a sustainable way – no crashes allowed!
    Good luck with your program – setting boundaries is such a good idea I’m going to borrow it!

• Megan S December 22, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Thanks Clare, I’m still working on the boundaries thing and will update on that in the new year. I’m glad to hear you’ve had a breakthrough and will actually be able to start exercising in the new year. Definitely avoid crashes!

5. Jumping_Jenny_444 December 23, 2013 at 12:38 am

I pretty much have the same goals as you for the upcoming year. Those are some great questions! 🙂 I need to keep this in mind for myself. I’ve had fibro for a year, so with next year it’s about finding little ways to get back on my feet, and being able to adjust to this chronic illness.

• Megan S December 23, 2013 at 6:37 am

Adjusting and getting back on our feet… I’m glad I’m not alone in these goals. 😉

6. Why am I here and what do I want to achieve in 2014? | my chronic life journey January 7, 2014 at 9:06 am

[…] have already outlined my aspirations for 2014 in terms of my life with a particular focus on my physical, mental, and spiritual health so I don’t feel the need to reiterate that; you can follow the […]